Thursday, December 18, 2008

Getting Induced...

According to my doctor, my due date is today and baby is still not showing any significant signs of coming so she scheduled me for an induction on Monday. A little nervous so any words of wisdom would be great. Hopefully Monday I will be about 10lbs lighter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_(birth)

8 comments:

queenieweenie said...

good luck!

hopefully you'll start on your own this weekend...if not, I've heard inductions are pretty easy!

I can't wait to see the new little sweetheart!

flip flop mama said...

Good luck!! I had a great induction so I hope yours goes well too!

Sarah said...

I was induced by choice with Orion. It was absolutely /*-the best delivery yet. You can 'plan ahead' where you are having Allie stay (like, the night before if possible), and have everything you want/need with you.
More than likely your 2nd delivery will be twice as fast; your body already knows what to do.
Whatever happens, good luck to you! It's definitely a new adventure!

Anonymous said...

Um...okay...I do hope your induction goes as well as the other ladies here did. Mine was very long and is a story for after yours happens. Good luck!!! - Kim H.

Annie Sunshine said...

Here's my advice since you asked for it. All this off course comes from being induced TWICE and going into labor ONCE on my own.

First off, inductions are DEFINATELY more painful than going into labor by yourself because it comes much faster and stronger than if they started on their own. You would think this would make for faster labors, but according to friends they are longer (in my experience they are longer too, but since my LONGEST labor was eight hours, I can't say for sure - my shortest was the one I went into labor on my own -just over an hour).

I think the trick with being induced is to only have the pitocin run as long as you need it, and have them stop it once your labor is established, because by then your body is making oxitocin (pitocin is imitation oxitocin) so you are getting double doses if the pitocin drop continues, and the contractions are, of course much more painful.

Next is just general advice. This is just something I finally realized with my third labor and that is, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE get up and walk, at least sit up hanging your legs over the side of the bed and curl your body forward. I was having trouble progressing from a four which I had been at for over an hour--that's long for my labors. After sitting up and curling my back so they could put in the epidural (about ten minutes), I laid on my back, and felt the need to push, they checked and sure enough I was at a 9 and a half. That was less than 20 minutes after they had checked me last at a four. Then I made the connection that with my prior labor I had been walking up til I was a seven (that was my just over an hour labor) my longest labor I did nothing but lay in the bed.

So that is way long, but since I don't have your email you get an email length comment and advice.

Just so you know I am the hand-out-free-advice type person, but I really don't care if you take it. I just get so mad when people say after I have had a difficult time figuring out how to do something, and finally figure it out, "I could have told you that", and I think "Then why the heck didn't you!"

So sorry it is long, but I wish you all the luck and you will be in my prayers on Monday. Just remember every labor is different, and different things work for different people, so if a nurse tells you to try something and you don't want to or you think you should do something that they think won't work, don't listen to them, because you will have heaven on your side whispering to you. Go with your gut. My only regrets with any of my labors were when I listened to the nurse when I should have listened to myself.

Carrie said...

You'll do great! I was induced with Beau and Bree and they were easy. They turn everything up very slowly so it was never too much for me to handle. Good Luck!! You are lucky...you get to hold and smell a sweet new baby soon!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure you don't want to hear my advice... Should I give it anyway? No, I shouldn't. The week Clarissa was 7 days late was the longest week EVER, but it was followed by the most beautiful childbirthing experience ever. Fair trade.

And good luck! I'm so excited for you & Matt. Newborns are the best!!! :)

Tammi said...

No real advice...just reassuring you that inductions aren't bad--especially if you're having an epidural--I had 2, and things went very smoothly. Kinda nice cause you can prepare for it. Just remember to ask for more epidural if you feel it wearing off before the hard labor! (lesson learned the HARD way)...So jealous you get to have a sweet, yummy newborn again--ENJOY!